Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
No holiday (read: Thanksgiving or Christmas) table would be complete for me without this pie. Yes, it is sweet. Yes, it is rich. Yes, it is wonderful.
- 1 1⁄2 cups firmly packed dark brown sugar or 1 1⁄2 cups maple sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 cup cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 dash salt
- 1 unbaked 8-inch pie shell
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped with
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F.
- Whisk all ingredients until smooth and pour into shell.
- Bake about 25-30 minutes, until filling is set.
- Sugar Pie is best served slightly warm or at room temperature.
- Serve with Chantilly Cream.
- Variation: Add 1/2 cup chopped, toasted walnuts to the filling.
Mais c'est si bon! Haven't had Brown Sugar Pie since my MIL died many years ago. We all loved it but because it is so rich it's not one we'll be having again soon but this recipe is definitely a keeper! Thanks Evelyn.
A very tasty pie (especially with the whipped cream), but only if you don't care how it looks. I baked it for around 40 minutes total, then assumed that it must set as it cools - but it didn't. The consistency of the filling was like thin pudding that just ran all over the plate once it was cut, and even refrigerating it didn't really help. I'm sure it just needed a longer cooking time, so keep that in mind if you decide to give this recipe a try.