Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Very common pie in Belgium.
- 1 pie crust
- 500 ml milk
- 1 vanilla pod
- 2 eggs
- 80 g sugar
- 20 g cornstarch
- 10 g butter
- decorator sugar, to taste (pearled sugar)
- Preheat the oven at 180°C.
- In a pan, heat the milk with the split vanilla pod. Leave to boil at low heat.
- In a bowl beat the eggs with the sugar and the cornstarch.
- Add the milk, small bits at a time to the egg mixture, without stopping to beat.
- Remove the vanilla pod and scrape it out, add to the mixture.
- Pour the mixture in the pan, and let it thicken over low heat, do not stop beating.
- Put the pie crust in the buttered pie plate.
- Pour the egg mixture into it.
- Bake for 35 min or until the flan is lightly coloured.
- Leave to cool and decorate with pearled sugar.