Kim D.'s Note:
This recipe was found in a New Orleans cookbook and is posted as a request. I haven't made it yet, but it looks delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Sweet Dough Crust
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
- 1For crust, cream together sugar and shortening.
- 2Add beaten egg, flour, baking powder, nutmeg and salt.
- 3Knead slightly, then roll out dough on a floured surface to fit the size of your pie pan. (Crust will be thick)
- 4Place dough in pie pan and form it up the sides.
- 5Prick the bottom of the pie crust slightly with a forkfork.
- 6For filling, bring 2/3 cup milk to a boil.
- 7In a small bowl, combine 1/3 cup cold milk, beaten eggs, flour, sugar and salt.
- 8Slowly add the milk and egg mixture to the boiling milk and cook until thick.
- 9Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- 10Pour custard into crust and bake in a pre-heated oven at 400°F until brown.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tarte a Bouillie (French Custard Pie)
Serving Size: 1 (110 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 317.6
- Calories from Fat 106
- Total Fat 11.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 83.5 mg
- Sodium 142.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 25.3 g
- Protein 6.0 g