Recipe by Trackalina
You see all these chefs on the tele these days showing you how to separate eggs quickly using only your hands - letting the yolk sit in your palm while the white falls through your fingers. Well apart from hating the feeling of slimy egg on my hands, my mum always told me not to touch the egg white as it gave you warts! I’m not sure how true that is, but I still separate my eggs the old fashioned way using the shells – so there! Also, not one to waste anything, I always try to make meringue at the same time as mayonnaise, or I put them in a jar in the fridge and make egg white omelete for my son Sam during the week. It's something he likes :)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 lemon juice
- 1 liter sunflower oil
- 2 teaspoons capers, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chives, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cornichons, chopped
- 2 teaspoons horseradish
- 2 teaspoons tarragon, chopped (optional, my husband isn't over keen on it so I often leave it out)
- 1 cornichon, sliced and fanned (optional decoration)
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk the Egg Yolks with the Mustard, Garlic until they thicken up and lighten a little.
- Continue whisking while slowly adding the Oil – drip by drip at first, then I drizzle the Oil slowly down the inside of the bowl until the mayonaise starts to thicken.
- When the mayonaise starts to get very thick, slacken it off with some of the Lemon Juice.
- Continue to add the Oil and thin down again with the Lemon Juice until all the Oil has been used. You may not need all of the Lemon Juice.
- Stir in all the other ingredients to the Mayo to make the Tartar Sauce.
- Serve in a bowel of your choice, emelished with one whole cornichon, sliced 5 times lengthways almost through to the end and fanned out a little.