Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a wonderful pastry recipe to use for tarts, it's the perfect amount to fill a 11-inch fluted round tart pan and has a wonderful texture. Use shortening for this only. Pie weights or raw rice will be needed to bake the crust. The pastry can be made by hand or in the food processor.
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter, cut into very small pieces
- 1⁄4 cup cold shortening
- 3 -5 tablespoons ice water
- Blend together flour, sugar, salt, butter and shortening with your fingers or a pastry blender (or pulse on a processor) just until the mixture resembles coarse meal, the mixture should be pea-size.
- Drizzle the ice water starting with 3 tablespoons over the flour mixture; gently stir with a fork (or pulse with a processor) until incorporated.
- Squeeze a small amount in your hands, if it does not hold together add in more ice water 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring or pulsing with a processor until JUST combined.
- Test again, but be careful not to overwork the mixture, as the pastry will be tough.
- Transfer the mixture onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 6 portions.
- Using the heel of your hand, smear each portion once or twice in a forward motion.
- Gather dough together with a scraper and press into 1 ball.
- Flatten into a 6-inch disc.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for about 1 hour.
- Roll out dough with a floured rolling pin into a 13-inch round on a lightly floured surface.
- Fit into the 11-inch tart pan.
- trim any excess dough leaving a 1/2-inch overhang.
- Fold the overhang inward and press against the side of the pan to reinforce edge.
- Lightly prick the bottom and sides of the pastry with a fork.
- Chill for 30 minutes.
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- Line the shell with foil and fill with pie weights or raw rice.
- Bake in the center of the oven until the pastry is golden along the rim (about 20 minutes).
- Remove the shell from the oven, and carefully remove the foil and pie weights, return back to oven and bake for another 10 minutes or until golden all over.