A new presentation of a seasonal favorite: caramel apples with a twist--in a pie shell! What a combination--sure to please family & friends gathered around the table. The original recipe comes from Taste of Home's *Best of Country Cooking 2003*
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (9 inch) pastry for double-crust pie
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 dash salt
- 6 cups thinly sliced tart apples, peeled (about 6 medium)
- 1 cup english toffee, candy bits
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg, mixed with 1 tsp water, beaten
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- cheddar cheese slice (optional)
- whipping cream (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 425.
- 2Line pie plate with half of pastry, trim evenly around edges; set aside.
- 3In a mixing bowl, combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; add apples and toss to coat.
- 4Add toffee bits and stir lightly again; pour into crust.
- 5Dot with butter bits.
- 6Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie.
- 7Make decorative cut-outs; place top over filling; trim, seal and flute edges; top with cut-outs; brush with egg-water and sprinkle with sugar.
- 8Cover edges of crust loosely with strips of foil (prevents burning).
- 9Bake for 30 minutes; remove foil, bake 5-15 minutes longer (golden brown, filling is bubbly through the cut-outs).
- 10Cool on wire rack; store in fridge.
- 11Serving suggestions from The Dairy State: serve with thin slices of Cheddar cheese!
- 12Or whipping cream -- .
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tart -N- Toffee Apple Pie
Serving Size: 1 (229 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 547.3
- Calories from Fat 231
- Total Fat 25.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 45.4 mg
- Sodium 391.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 38.9 g
- Protein 5.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: