Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This is a layered dish, of ham, omelets,cheeses, spinach, puff pastry, etc. It takes a little time to make, but it is so good, you will be glad that you took all the time. The flavor is incomparable, and it is one of the things, that I know I can always make, and everyone will be happy.
- 1 lb fresh spinach
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 (1 lb) packagecommercial puff pastry, thawed & divided
- 9 eggs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 3⁄4 teaspoon whole dried tarragon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 3 cups shredded swiss cheese, divided
- 12 ounces thinly sliced deli ham, divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- fresh spinach leaves
- pimiento, cuouts
- fresh parsley sprig
- Remove stems from spinach; was leaves in lukewarm water. Drain and set aside.
- Sauté red pepper and garlic in 1 tablespoon butter and oil in Dutch oven, remove red pepper and garlic; set aside, reserve drippings in pan. Add spinach, nutmeg, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and pepper, stirring gently. Cover and cook over high heat 3-5 minutes. Drain and press between paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- Line a greased 8 or 9-inch springform pan with 1 sheet puff pastry, leaving 1/2 inch overhang; set aside. Cut remaining sheet of puff pastry into a 9 or 10-inch circle, depending on pan size, cover with a damp cloth and set aside.
- Combine 9 eggs, chives, parsley, tarragon, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; beat well. Heat an 8 inch omelet pan or skillet over medium heat until it is hot enough to sizzle a drop of water. Add 2 teaspoons butter, and rotate pan to coat bottom. Pour about one fourth of egg mixture into pan. As mixture starts to cook, gently lift edges of omelet with a spatula, and tilt pan so that portion flows underneath.
- Cook until eggs are set and top is still moist and creamy. Loosen omelet with spatula; transfer to pastry lined pan. Repeat procedure for second, third and fourth omelet., transferring omelets to wax paper.
- Layer one third of spinach, 1/2 cup cheese, one third of ham, 1/2 cup cheese and one third of red pepper mix over omelet in pan. Top with second omelet and the same amount of remaining ingredients. Top with third omelet and remaining ingredients; top with remaining omelet. Top with puff pastry circle; seal well, crimp edges if desired. Make indentations in pastry with a knife, dividing pie into 6 or 8 portions, brush top with beaten egg. Place springform pan in a shallow pan. Position oven rack in lower third of oven; bake at 350°F for 60-65 minutes. Remove from oven, let stand 5 minutes. Remove from springform pan, and place on serving platter lined with spinach leaves. Decorate top with pimiento cutouts and parsley sprigs.