Recipe by Lorraine of AZ
Did I mention I love the flavor of tart red pie cherries? It's not that familiar a flavor and so people try to figure out what gives this salad its unique taste. A conversation piece, you see. I really treasure this salad recipe. It goes especially well with ham. Cooking time is actually chilling time.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
OUTSTANDING, whether you call it a salad or a dessert ~ Since there were just the 2 of us for this great gem, we ate it with beef dinner & also had some the next day as dessert! Definitely a keeper, & I look forward to making it often during the Spring & Summer months! Really love those cherries! Thanks for sharing this absolutely great recipe! [Made & reviewed in Healthy Choices ABC tag]
- 1 (16 ounce) cansour red pie cherries
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (3 ounce) package cherry Jell-O
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained (reserve juice)
- 1⁄2 cup cold water or 1⁄2 cup reserved pineapple juice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the cherries and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Put the softened cream cheese and cherry jello in a separate bowl. Mix well. Pour hot cherry-sugar mixture over jello mixture and stir until completely dissolved; cool.
- To this mixture add the drained crushed pineapple, pecans, and cold water or reserved pineapple juice. Chill until firm, 4 hours or overnight.