Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
From Gourmet magazine, July, 2001 by Melissa Roberts-Matar. "This lobster salad is wonderful on its own-but piled onto a hot dog bun it becomes a perfect lobster roll. The lobsters may be cooked and shelled 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. The salad can also be made a day ahead of serving. Keep covered and chilled.
- 4 (1 1/2 lb) live lobsters
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- hot dog bun, spit top (optional)
- Plunge 2 live lobsters headfirst into an 8 quart pot of boiling salted water.
- Loosely cover pot and cook over moderately high heat for 9 minutes from the time they entered the water, then transfer with tongs to sink to cool.
- Return water to a boil and repeat with the next 2 lobsters.
- While the lobsters are cooking, combine shallot, lemon juice, and 1/2 teaspoons salt in in a large bowl and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- When lobsters are cool, remove meat from lobster, discard tomalley, roe (if any) and shells.
- Cut meat into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Whisk mayonnaise, tarragon, and 1/4 teaspoons black pepper into shallot mixture.
- Add lobster meat to the mayo blend and toss gently to coat.
- If serving on hot dog buns, butter and grill or toast the buns if desired.
- Enjoy this simple and delicious rite of summer!