Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
We enjoy cornish hens this way sometimes for a Sunday dinner.
- 2 rock cornish hens (1-1 1/2 lbs)
- 1 can chicken broth, warmed
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons dried tarragon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 lemon
- kosher salt
- Remove giblets from hens if they're present; reserve for future use.
- Rinse hens throughly under running water; pat dry.
- Rub olive oil over both hens.
- Season hens, inside and out, with salt and pepper.
- Season hens with tarragon including the cavities of the birds.
- Rub spice well into the skin.
- Place one teaspoon of garlic into the cavity of each hen.
- Quarter the half of lemon and place one quarter inside of each cornish hen's cavity as well.
- Place hens into a roaster and pour warmed chicken broth into the roasting pan.
- Dot both hens with margarine or butter.
- Cover pan and roast in a 400 degree oven for 50 minutes basting occasionally.
- Remove the cover and allow birds to brown for 10 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.