- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 medium leeks, rinsed well and sliced (white and pale green parts)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup tomato juice
- 4 cups vegetable stock or 4 cups canned broth
- 1⁄2 cup diced tomato
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh tarragon (reserve a few sprigs for garnish)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add leeks and garlic and cook, stirring often, until leeks are soft, about 5 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly over low heat 2 to 3 minutes.
- Slowly stir in tomato juice, stock and tomatoes. Cook until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Add honey or rice syrup and tarragon. Cover and cook 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into serving bowls.