Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Asparagus, sweet peas, fennel and green beans salad, tossed with cherry tomatoes cooked in a sherry vinaigrette. Served with tarragon grilled chicken, accompanied by a roasted strawberry-fontina popover. For more, see Chef Mark's menu here: www.kitchensurfing.com/menus/the-essence-of-spring-527e8491f7c13ae056000041.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 cup tarragon, chopped
- 2 garlic, gloves minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 bunch medium asparagus, trimmed
- 1 lb green beans, picked
- 1 cup sweet peas
- 1 large fennel bulb, julienned
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 lemons, zested and quartered
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoons sherry vinaigrette
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup dried edamame seeds
- Take tarragon, garlic, lemon, juice and 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil and blend in a food processor.
- Trim chicken and place in a pan and cover with tarragon marinade, cover and chill for 20 minutes.
- Grill chicken. Set aside to cool while making salad.
- In a large pot, boil 3 quarts of water. When boiling add the lemon (reserve zest) then add fennel. Cook for 4 minutes or until tender. Remove fennel with a hand strainer into an ice water bath, leaving lemon behind.
- Follow the same method with green beans and asparagus. They all cook at different temperatures and you need to cook at least 4 minutes. After each minute check crispness until finished. Refresh ice bath each time.
- Reserve poached vegetables on a paper towel to dry while making warm vinaigrette.
- In a large sauté pan add rest of oil and sherry vinegar. Cook on medium high till hot then add tomatoes and peas. Sauté till tomatoes start to break down then immediately remove.
- Place vegetables in a large bowl then pour vinaigrette over and toss. Place on 4 plates or bowls.
- Slice chicken on the bias and place each sliced breast on salads and garnish with dried edamame seeds.