Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Like a regular pot pie, only the top crust is made of polenta and not pastry crust.
Make and share this Tarragon-Cream Chicken Polenta Pot Pies recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery with leafy greens, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken thighs, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup yellow corn grits or 1⁄2 cup polenta
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 6 sprigs fresh tarragon, leaves chopped and stems discarded
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1. In a deep skillet, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, onion and celery, season with salt and pepper and cook until softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the peas and chicken and cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes; set aside.
- 2. Preheat the broiler. In a small, heavy saucepan, bring 1 cup chicken broth and ½ cup cream to a boil. Add the polenta and cook, whisking, for 3 minutes. Lower the heat, stir in the gruyère until melted and set aside.
- 3. Push the chicken and vegetables off to the side of the skillet. Over medium heat, add the butter to melt, then stir in the flour; cook for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the remaining 2 cups chicken broth and 1/2 cup cream, stir in the chicken and vegetables and bring to a simmer. Stir in the tarragon and mustard; season with salt and pepper.
- 4. Place four ovenproof soup bowls on a baking sheet and pour in the chicken mixture. Scoop some polenta on top to cover completely. Broil until the tops are browned, 2 to 3 minutes.