Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Rich and creamy, it makes an impressive main course.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 chicken breast halves, on the bone
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, such as chanterelles, sliced
- 1 teaspoon herbes de provence
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup creme fraiche
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- fresh tarragon sprig (to garnish)
- Melt the butter with the oil in a flameproof casserole, add the chicken, and brown on all sides.
- Cover with the mushrooms, and sprinkle with the dried herbs, garlic and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the stock and wine and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer gently for 25 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- Lift out the chicken and mushrooms and set aside, then boil the sauce until reduced by about half.
- Add the creme fraiche and chopped tarragon and stir until thickened.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve the chicken sliced off the bone, coated with mushrooms and sauce, garnished with tarragon sprigs.