Recipe by Irmgard
Recently Jamie Oliver prepared on his show a roast chicken cooked in milk and it brought to mind this recipe, which although very delicious, I hadn't made in ages. The main seasoning is tarragon, which imparts its distinct taste to the dish. It is an easy dish to prepare and can be served for Sunday dinner or a dinner party.
- 3 -3 1⁄2 lbs roasting chickens
- 1⁄4 cup fresh tarragon leaf
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
For mushroom gravy
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the chicken, put the tarragon leaves into the cavity, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the bird in a large saucepan, add the milk, and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken carefully and reserve the milk.
- Place the bird in a roasting pan with a little butter and cover with buttered paper.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 1-1/2 hours, basting occasionally.
- When the chicken is cooked, place on a serving dish and keep hot.
- To make the mushroom gravy: Wash the mushrooms, peel if necessary, and slice thinly.
- Place the roasting pan with the chicken drippings over heat, add the mushrooms, and stir until cooked, adding a little more butter if necessary.
- Pour in the reserved milk, having blended some of it with the cornstarch.
- Add the blended cornstarch, bring to a boil stirring continuously, and season with salt and cayenne pepper.
- Serve hot in a sauce boat with the chicken.