Recipe by Pikake21
My favorite bread! I found this recipe on AlohaWorld, and would use similar measurements to make a whole loaf.
- 1⁄4 ounce active dry yeast (1 package)
- 1 1⁄2 cups lukewarm water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed taro root (or 1 c ready made poi)
- 7 cups flour
- purple food coloring (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water in large bowl.
- Stir in sugar, salt, oil, eggs and mashed taro and food coloring.
- Beat with electric mixer until combined.
- Add 4 c flour. Continue beating until smooth.
- Stir in enough remaining flour so that mixture is easy to handle.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface (or use dough hook on stand mixer); knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes).
- Place in greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap (or use 1 gallon plastic freezer bag) and refrigerate for 8 hours, but no more than 3 or 4 days.
- Punch down dough. Let rest 5 to 10 minutes. Shape dough as desired. let rise until doubled in size (about 30 to 40 minutes).
- Bake on greased pan in preheated 400 degree oven 15 to 25 minutes. Brush tops with melted butter. Serve warm.