Recipe by Annacia
From French Polyensia
Top Review by lazyme
This was a fun recipe to make - and good too. I've had taro in restaurants before but never had prepared it at home. I remembered hearing somewhere that you need to prepare taro correctly, otherwise you could get sick. So I googled to find out how long to boil it. I found sites that said to boil it with skins on, skins off, from 8 minutes up to 1 1/2 hours. Then there were warnings about wearing rubber gloves because some people would end up with stinging hands when peeling it. I got to the point where I was asking myself if I really wanted to make this recipe, lol. I finally found one place that said that you could microwave a small root for 4-5 minutes. So that's the way I cooked the taro, and it worked really well.
I made the recipe as directed from that point on, but I did change the oil/butter for each batch as it was turning an ugly color, lol. I'm really glad that I made this and it was really a great snack. The taro tasted like a nutty potato and mixed with the sweet potato and pineapple really well. Thanks for a fun and tasty recipe, my dear friend. Made for ZWT7 for the Emerald City Shakers.
- 453.59 g taro root, peeled
- 453.59 g sweet potato, peeled
- 6-8 fresh pineapple slices
- 4-6 bacon, rashers
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 14.79 ml butter
- 6-8 green onions, chopped
- fresh ground pepper
- sliced lemon and salt (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut taro and sweet potato into 1/2" thick slices and steam or boil until tender but still firm.
- Drain, spread to cool, then cut into chips about 1" x 1/2".
- Cut pineapple slices into similar size and bacon into 1/2" wide strips (The gammon style bacon is best for this or get bacon ends from a good butcher shop).
- Heat oil and butter in a heavy frypan and fry taro/sweet potato chips until golden and brown.
- Remove, drain and place on absorbent towel then keep hot in oven at 200 deg. F. In the same pan saute' pineapple.
- Then fry bacon until crisp. In a bowl quickly combine the hot chips, pineapple and bacon and toss lightly with green onions.
- Sprinkle with pepper, salt transfer to serving dish and garnish with lemon slices.
- Serve immediately.