Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A lovely mousse cake.
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 12 ounces steamed mashed taro root (see Note)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons powdered milk
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon margarine
- Method: To prepare cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat egg yolks and 1 cup sugar.
- Fold in flour, salt and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites to soft peaks with remaining sugar.
- Gently fold egg whites into batter.
- If you are using oil or butter for added richness, fold that in last.
- Pour batter into ungreased 9 inch, round cake pan.
- Bake about 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean and cake is a light golden brown.
- To prepare filling: In a chilled bowl with a hand mixer, whip cream until it forms soft peaks.
- In a separate bowl, combine sugar, powdered milk and warm mashed taro until blended.
- Add butter and combine.
- Wait until mixture has cooled to room temperature, then fold in whipped cream.
- Slice cake in half horizontally.
- Spread filling on bottom layer with spatula.
- Add top layer of cake.
- Note: Peel taro root, cut into 1/3 inch thick slices and steam until soft, about 30 minutes.
- When root is cooked, mash it with a fork or ricer.
I just wanted to say thank you for posting this. I used your taro mousse filling to top some cheesecake bites as a gift for a friend of mine who loves ube. It came out really fluffy and with a nice, light flavor. I'm really excited to see what she thinks! Thank you!