Dhall is served at almost every meal in India. It is a staple food, there are many versions of this dish. Remember it's not an authentic meal if you serve curry without t he dhall. Here is one of my favourites, very easy to cook.
- Wash lentils till the water runs clear.
- Drain the lentils.
- Place lentils in pan with the water, salt, turmeric, onion, garlic and chillis.
- Cook till the lentils are soft and sloppy.
- Heat the oil in a separate pan, fry the cumin seeds till they start to pop, add the garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Serve the lentils with the fried garlic and cumin seeds poured over them.
Simple and delicious! I like a more runny dal so I halved the lentils. I also followed eatrealfood's tip of frying the onion and adding it at the end. Thanks Brian!
this is how i make my dal too. except that i don't boil the onion along with the lentils - i saute it till golden brown along with the cumin, chili, and perhaps a cinnamon stick and bayleaf. for a change you can also add mustard seed.
Simple, quick dhal recipe! I used a combination of red and black lentils, which worked out well, the black giving it a bit of texture. Next time I think I'd add some mustard seeds along with the cumin seeds. Yum! Thanks Brian H!