Recipe by Cluich
Want Indian food, but don't have the time or all the ingredients? Try this quick version of an Indian classic. Serve with rice and roti or naan.
- 10 ounces split red lentils
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 2 green chilies, slit
- salt, to taste
- handful cilantro, chopped, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the lentils in a pot and fill the pot with boiling water. Cook over low heat for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds. When the seeds start to pop, add the onion and stir-fry until golden and a little crisp. Remove half the onion with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Add the tomato paste, ginger-garlic paste, chilies, and salt to the pan and cook until well blended. Add the cooked lentils.
- Serve hot, with the reserved fried onions on top and garnished with garnished with cilantro.