Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Want Indian food, but don't have the time or all the ingredients? Try this quick version of an Indian classic. Serve with rice and roti or naan.
- 10 ounces split red lentils
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 2 green chilies, slit
- salt, to taste
- handful cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- Put the lentils in a pot and fill the pot with boiling water. Cook over low heat for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds. When the seeds start to pop, add the onion and stir-fry until golden and a little crisp. Remove half the onion with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Add the tomato paste, ginger-garlic paste, chilies, and salt to the pan and cook until well blended. Add the cooked lentils.
- Serve hot, with the reserved fried onions on top and garnished with garnished with cilantro.