Recipe by Leslie in Texas
Another wonderful Greek recipe I clipped from a magazine many years ago that featured a menu and recipes for a Gourmet Greek Dinner Party. This makes an elegant dip for vegetables as well.
- 1 (4 ounce) jar red caviar (salmon)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons onions, diced
- 4 slices white bread, trimmed of crusts
- 1 cup olive oil, good quality
- 1 -3 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 3⁄4 lbs pita bread
Directions See How It's Made
- In a food processor combine caviar and onion and process just until blended, about 30 to 60 seconds.
- Break white bread into small pieces; add to caviar mixture and process to combine.
- With processor running, slowly add oil.
- Continue processing until mixture is a paste of medium consistency.
- If mixture is too thick, add 1 to 3 tablespoons warm water to desired consistency.
- Add lemon juice, transfer to a bowl, cover and chill.
- * Can be made ahead to this point. Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.
- Serve as a dip with toasted pita bread.
- To toast pita bread, cut each pita into 6 wedges. Separate and cut each wedge into 2 pieces. Arrange, crust side down, on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Broil 3 to 5 minutes or until golden.
- * Can be made ahead to this point. Place in plastic bag and store up to 2 days.