Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This Greek dip can be made with bread or potato (or both). We prefer the potato version.
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces (10 - 12 oz.)
- 4 ounces codfish roe (tarama)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 onion, minced
- 1⁄2-1 cup olive oil
- bread, for serving
- Place potato in saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until cooked through.
- Drain and set aside to cool a bit.
- Process potato, roe, onion and lemon juice thoroughly.
- The more roe that is mashed, the better the dip will taste.
- Gradually add in the oil until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Can garnish with kalamata olives if desired.
- Serve with bread.
I just made and tasted the taramasalata, its good but I must say I prefer it when I buy it ready made.It could be that I am more used to the manufactured taramasalata (with all its additives!). I did think the texture was excellent and I prefered the natural color this has. Thanks for posting this recipe, I always wanted to make my own and now I finally did!!