1/1 Photo of Tarako Spaghetti (Salted Cod Fish Roe Pesto With Pasta)
This is a dish that my kids LOVE for lunch. It's not inexpensive because the tarako can be spendy, but it's quick so I like to have the ingredients on hand. This isn't a sauce like spaghetti sauce that completely covers the pasta, it's more like a pesto. When adding the heavy cream, just get it to the consistency of pesto that you can toss with pasta. If the pasta sticks hopelessly together when tossing the sauce with it, you've overcooked the noodles. The recipe ingredient filters here won't allow the phrase "2 tarako (salted code roe)" as an ingredient, but that is specifically what this recipe is written for.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Note 1: a) Tarako comes in sausage-looking pieces b)you can choose either the spicy kind (karashi mentaiko) or just plain tarako c)you can find tarako at the Japanese grocery store, often it is in the freezer.
- 2Cut open the casing on each piece of tarako and gently scrape or squeeze out the roe.
- 3Discard the casings.
- 4Start your water to boil for the spaghetti.
- 5Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and add roe, stirring until the color of the roe changes to a pale orange.
- 6Stir in about half the heavy cream until well blended and heated through. As necessary, you can add the rest of the heavy cream.
- 7Turn off the heat and keep the sauce just warm.
- 8Don't ask me why, but a friend stirs in a spoonful of Kewpie Mayonnaise before tossing this dish together (I love Kewpie mayo, but I haven't tried this addition).
- 9Cook the pasta to al dente.
- 10Drain pasta and toss with sauce (sprinkle on the nori over the top just before taking the plates to the table) to serve.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tarako Spaghetti (Salted Cod Fish Roe Pesto With Pasta)
Serving Size: 1 (142 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 532.7
- Calories from Fat 236
- Total Fat 26.3 g
- Saturated Fat 15.1 g
- Cholesterol 143.1 mg
- Sodium 130.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 12.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: