Recipe by Fauve
If you're looking for a Philadelphia Steak and Cheese recipe, you'd better keep on looking. This one is the Carolina's version, "ya'll"! At my husband's urging, I give you my family's version of how we like our steak and cheese sandwiches.
Top Review by mommyoffour
Mmmmmm.... We loved these. I too was leary of the molasses in these buy it works. We used swiss cheese with ours and will make again. THank you for sharing this unique way of making steak sandwiches.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless sirloin, cut into 1/4 inch wide strips
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 4 small French bread (approx 6-inch long) or 4 small Italian bread, split open (approx 6-inch long)
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup provolone cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the meat filling: In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat and saute' onions and sirloin until onions are transparent-- about 3 minutes.
- Add chili powder, pepper, salt, Worcestershire, molasses, and garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir occasionally.
- Add red and green peppers and cook 3 or 4 more minutes.
- Assemble the sandwiches: Preheat oven broiler.
- Fill each loaf with about 2 cups of meat mixture and sprinkle each with mozzarella and provolone.
- Place under broiler until cheese melts-- 30 seconds to 1 minute.