Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Taquito recipe off the net in response to a duscussion forum request
- 1 small chuck roast, cooked and shredded (or similiar cut of meat)
- 1⁄2 onion
- black peppercorns
- corn tortilla
- canola oil (for frying)
- To cook meat the mexican way: purchase a small chuck roast or similar cut of meat.
- Put in dutch over and add barely enough water to cover.
- Add one half of onion (not need to chop) and some black peppercorns to taste.
- Cook for approximately 1 1/2 hours.
- Shred meat with 2 forks.
- Heat oil in frying pan to 350 degrees f.
- Place corn tortillas with tongs into hot oil long enough to just coat with oil and drain on paper towels.
- Place a couple shreds of meat in the tortilla.
- Roll up like a cigar and using tongs, lower the tortilla into the oil- gently letting go of the tortilla, fry until crisp.
- Line a serving platter with shredded lettuce and tomatoes and put taquitos on top with cheese and salsa.
These were very good once I got in the groove of frying them. First few fell apart :), my fault. I made these taquitos with chicken verde too for a little different variation. I served with salsa and sour cream. Leftovers reheat well ina hot oven. Froze very well too.