Recipe by evelyn/athens
Wonderful recipe for everyone's favourite. From the Bride and Groom's First Cookbook. Highly recommended by everyone's favourite brownie expert at CTC.
- 8 ounces semisweet baking chocolate (Baker's or Ghirardelli)
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate (solid chocolate, not morsels, the consistency of melted morsels tends to be gooey instead of smooth)
- 8 ounces sweet butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a rimmed 9x13-inch baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Break the semisweet and unsweetened chocolate into 1-ounce pieces. Bring the butter to a boil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Add both chocolates and immediately remove from the heat. Stir until the chocolate melts completely.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- Combine the eggs and sugar in the bowl of the electric mixer. Beat until the mixture is very thick and forms a ribbon when you lift the beaters away from the batter. Add the vanilla and blend lightly. Add the melted chocolate and mix lightly.
- Gently fold the flour mixture into the chocolate batter with a spatula. Fold in the chocolate morsels and nuts.
- Spread the batter in the greased baking pan. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. When done, a cake tester inserted into the center of the brownies will have a little batter clinging to it. Do not overbake the brownies. They are super-delicious when a little wet and "gooey.".
- Cool the brownies in the baking pan.
- Cut the brownies into 1-1/2-inch squares. Serve with fresh fruit, or topped with ice cream for a sinfully rich brownie sundae.