Recipe by Ms B.
Creamy pudding is layered with fruit preserves, caramel sauce or chocolate sauce and topped with nuts, chocolate pieces or spices. It is a great kid-friendly dessert that can even be presented elegantly for an adult dinner. From the December 2004 issue of Country Living. Cook time does not include chill time.
Top Review by sugarpea
Made this for Dh, the tapioca lover. It's not at all like my typical tapioca and guess what? He likes this one better. The nerve of that guy. ;) I used melted blueberry jam between the pudding layers.
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons dry tapioca
- 3 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup chocolate syrup or 3⁄4 cup caramel sauce or 3⁄4 cup fruit preserves
- 1⁄4 cup nuts or 1⁄4 cup decorative candies or 1⁄4 cup chocolate piece
Directions See How It's Made
- Fill a large bowl with ice water and set aside.
- Mix the sugar, tapioca, milk and egg yolks together in a medium saucepan.
- Cook on medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a full boil.
- Remove from heat, transfer the pudding to a medium bowl, and set in the ice bath.
- Chill for at least 1 hour or until pudding cools completely.
- To prepare the parfaits: place 3 tablespoons tapioca in a small parfait glass.
- Spread one tablespoon of sauce or preserves over the tapioca.
- Top with 3 more tablespoons tapioca and 1 more tablespoon sauce or preserves.
- Finish with a final layer of 2 tablespoons tapioca.
- Repeat with 5 more parfait dishes and garnish with nuts, candies, chocolate pieces, or a sprinkle of cinnamon, if desired.