Prep 5 mins
Cook 12 mins
Here is an old-time favorite prepared by an updated method. I searched high and low for a good recipe for smooth tapioca pudding and this is my favourite. I sweeten it with maple syrup but you can use something else. Needs to soak overnight. Note: This pudding will thicken as it cools.
- 1⁄2 cup tapioca (small pearl old-fashioned)
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups milk
- 2⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Soak 1/2 cup tapioca in 1 cup of milk overnight in the refrigerator.
- Pour 3 cups of milk into a 2 quart microwave-safe glass bowl or measuring cup. Add the soaked tapioca and maple syrup with a whisk. Microwave on high for 6 minutes and stir thoroughly with a whisk.
- Microwave on high again for 2 minutes, whisk and microwave 2 more minutes. Do not let it boil over.
- Add eggs and microwave 2 minutes. Whisk and microwave 2 more minutes.
- Stir in the vanilla and pour into individual serving dishes or a serving bowl. Chill and serve.
- Chocolate Tapioca: along with the vanilla, add 6 oz. (1/2 cup) semisweet chocolate chips and whisk until they are melted and blended.
This isn't sugar-free at all! There may be no granulated sugar in it, but it's LOADED with sugar from the maple syrup!
This recipe just did not WORK! It was disappointing too because I was making it for an ill friend. Are the directions wrong? Do you drain the extra milk after you soak the tapioca overnight? I tried to bring it to a boil on the stove after I tried it in the micro., as well...still too much liquid. I will see if it sets as it cools. Please make sure you get all the directions correct before you post. It is very ANNOYING!