Cook1 hr 15 mins
This is in response to a post on the boards. It is our favorite Tapioca Pudding. It is time consuming, so DH doesn't get it very often...and when he does, it doesn't last long at all. In fact, if it's been a really long time, he'll eat it himself in one sitting...thank goodness the Chef has the opportunity to "taste test"! ;-)) Prep time does not include soaking pearls overnight.
- In a bowl, soak tapioca in 2 cups of room temperature water overnight.
- Drain water.
- In double boiler, heat milk just until no longer cold.
- Add salt and tapioca.
- Continue heating until small bubbles appear at sides of pan.
- Cover, turn heat to very low and cook for one hour.
- Make sure that milk mixture does not simmer or boil.
- Separate egg whites from yolks.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar toether until light yellow in color.
- Add a little of the hot mixture to the egg yolks and blend thoroughly.
- Then add the egg yolk mixture to the hot milk mixture, stirring constantly.
- Place the double boiler over medium heat and cook until tapioca mixture is very thick, about 15 minutes.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Slowly fold the hot tapioca mixture into the egg whites.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Serve warm or chilled.