Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe is a family favorite. It always gets eaten really quickly, and it doesn't seem to matter if the recipe is doubled or even tripled. It takes some planning ahead and effort, but it is well worth it. Preparation time does not include soaking or cooling in refrigerator.
- 3⁄4 cup pearl tapioca (not instant, large pearl works best)
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 (6 ounce) can crushed pineapple (drained)
- 2 cups grapes, sliced in half
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 1⁄2 pint whipping cream
- Soak tapioca overnight in enough water to cover.
- Add or remove water so that there is just enough to cover the tapioca. Cook on low-medium heat on stove until almost all pieces are clear.
- Add sugar; stir until dissolved.
- Remove from heat. Add lemon juice.
- Cool mixture in refrigerator. (This is a good place to store it in the refrigerator, if you are trying get work done ahead. It is fine for at least 2 days; I have never tried longer).
- Stir "gel" so that the individual pieces of tapioca are more separated. Add pineapple and grapes.
- Whip the cream and fold in whipped cream and bananas just before serving.
This might not be the kind of dessert usually served during a North African & Greek meal, but I do like tapioca, so . . . Besides that, I have no problem preparing meals that have any numbeer of enjoyable flavors from around the world! We found this dessert to be very satisfying! Thanks for sharing it! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]