Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1 cup milk, scalded
- 1⁄4 cup minute tapioca
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 egg (separate!)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon real vanilla
- Beat the egg white until stiff.
- Add the tapioca to the milk in a double boiler.
- Cook until tapioca is transparent, stirring frequently.
- Add half the sugar to the milk and half to the egg yolk, lightly beaten.
- Add salt to the egg mixture.
- Pour hot mixture slowly over the egg mixture.
- Return to the double boiler and cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Fold in the stiffly beaten egg white.
- Serve very cold.