Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Semi-Homemade Cooking with Sandra Lee
For the cake
- butter-flavored cooking spray
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box vanilla cake mix (recommended ( Betty Crocker)
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups white cranberry juice
For the filling
- 1 (3 ounce) boxcook n' serve tapioca pudding (recommended ( Jell-O)
- 1 (14 ounce) can light coconut milk (recommended ( Thai Kitchen)
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
For the frosting
- 3 (12 ounce) cansfluffy white frosting (recommended ( Betty Crocker)
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- fresh blueberries
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded coconut
3 recipes blueberry sauce
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1⁄3 cup blueberry vodka (recommended ( Stoli)
- 1⁄4 cup blueberry jam
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 orange, zest of
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly spray 2 (8-inch) round baking pans with butter flavor baking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, oil, eggs, and white cranberry juice.
- Use an electric mixer to beat cake batter on low speed for 30 seconds.
- Scrape down sides of bowl and beat for 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Divide batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake in preheated oven for 32 to 35 minutes, or until tester comes away clean.
- Meanwhile, make cake pudding filling: combine pudding mix, coconut milk, 1 teaspoon coconut extract, and 1/2 cup shredded coconut in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a small bowl, mix together frosting and 2 teaspoons of coconut extract; set aside.
- For assembly:.
- With a serrated knife, cut cake layers in half horizontally; set aside.
- Fill pastry bag or zip-top bag with a third of the frosting; set aside.
- Place 1/2 of a cake layer on serving plate and pipe a ring of frosting around top edge. Fill middle of ring with 1/3 of pudding. Repeat with 2 more layers.
- Place final cake layer on top.
- Frost outside of cake with remaining frosting.
- Top frosted cake with blueberries and shredded coconut and serve with Blueberry Sauce.
- Blueberry Sauce:.
- 2 cups frozen blueberries.
- 1/3 cup blueberry vodka (recommended: Stoli).
- 1/4 cup blueberry jelly.
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch.
- 1/2 orange, zested.
- Combine all ingredients in saucepan.
- Cook and stir over medium heat for 3 to 6 minutes or until jelly is dissolved and sauce has thickened.