Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Based on a delicious and savory recipe from Madge Rosenberg’s wonderful cookbook, The Best Bread Machine Cookbook Ever – Ethnic Breads. She says, “Tapenade is a coarse puree of olives, anchovies, and garlic that can fill and flavor eggs, pasta, or beans or be spread on toast. With the bread machine, the tapenade is incorporated into the bread, which can be toasted and used as a base for hors d’oeuvres. Since Tapenade Bread is garlicky, top it very simply with mild goat or cottage cheese or with hard-cooked eggs or cold meat.” The default measurements are for a small 1 pound loaf; I have placed measurements for a large 1 ½ pound loaf in parentheses. In addition to a bread machine, this recipe requires a food processor. I estimated a 4 hour bread cycle, although your machine might be quicker! (I also took the liberty of correcting the 1 ½ pound measurement for sugar from 3 tablespoons to 3 teaspoons.) Posted for ZWT5.
- 1⁄4 cup pitted black olives (1/3 cup)
- 1 anchovy fillet (2)
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained (3 tablespoons)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed (1 1/2)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (1 1/2 tablespoons)
- 1 large pinch ground black pepper (1/8 teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast (1 1/2 teaspoons)
- 2 cups bread flour (3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons wheat bran (3 tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons sugar (3 teaspoons)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (3/4 teaspoon)
- 3⁄4 cup water (1 cup plus 2 tablespoons)
- Make the tapenade by processing the olives, anchovy fillet(s), capers, garlic, olive oil, and pepper in a food processor.
- Add all ingredients including the tapenade to your bread machine in the order recommended by its manufacturer, and select the bread cycle.
YUM! I made the tapenade the day before and then made the bread this morning. Very flavorful and some GOOD olive oil with sundried tomato paste makes the perfect dipping condiment for this amazing bread! I did add some rye flour instead of all bread flour which worked just fine. We can't stop eating this! It was way yummy with a side salad and soup. Can't wait to make the leftovers into veggie sandwiches!!! Made for ZWT8 for Team Jammin' Jazzberries.
This is the best bread in the whole world. It has all of my favorite things in the world. I did run the dough cycle twice before finishing the bread. It is an excellent recipe and I am now so happy that I have a bread machine.
Made for ZWT-8, DH often tells me the 1 thing he bought for me that has most rewarded him is my ABM. We love homemade bread, but feel some flavoured breads have a far less flavour presence than we prefer. I think this is esp true w/savoury breads. The flavour should excite the palate & be strongly present vs a subtle presence. Your tapenade bread easily met our "excite the palate" flavour std. I made the lrg 1 1/2 lb loaf & thot it might burst right out of my ABM. It tried & nearly succeeded, so I'll likely make the 1 lb loaf in the future. I'm not sure how to describe it ... but the texture is almost cloud-like (not dense at all) & this is prob due to excess moisture. If a dense texture is desired, then I suggest adding extra flour. So far we've just buttered it a bit & swooned, but I will revisit other options mentioned in your intro. Thx for sharing this excellent recipe w/us. :-)