Recipe by COOKGIRl
From Quick and Simple Magazine, February 2006. Use imported fresh olives for best results and canned black olives if you want to forsake quality and flavor.
Top Review by Maito
Delicious! We loved these. I omitted the oil and doubled the artichoke hearts. I liked the orange zest in this, but DH said he would prefer them without it. I could see these both as appetizers and as a meal with a salad. They're great!
- 1 cup imported olive, pitted, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup fresh basil, chopped (*NOT* dried)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, grated
- 18 slices French bread (cut 1/2-inch thick)
- 4 ounces crumbled goat cheese, your choice (French feta, boursin, chevre, etc.)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a food processor or blender, combine the olives (save a few for garnish), artichoke hearts, 1/4 cup fresh basil, olive oil, capers, and the orange zest. Pulse mixture until coarsely pureed. Set aside.
- Arrange the bread slices on a baking sheet and toast in the preheated oven until lightly browned on both sides, approximately 10 minutes total.
- Remove the toast from the oven. Divide the tapenade mixture and spread on each slice. Top with the goat cheese of your choice; return to oven and bake 1-2 minutes or just until cheese melts.
- Transfer the toast to a serving platter and garnish with the remaining sliced olives and some fresh basil.