Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Crunchy fried dough balls served with hot salsa a Tapas favorite, based on a recipe from "Spanish Tapas" by Silvana Franco. I think I could happily live on Tapas.
- 450 g white flour
- 5 ml easy-blend dried yeast
- 5 ml salt
- 30 ml chopped fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 30 ml olive oil
- vegetable oil (for frying)
for the salsa
- 6 hot red chili peppers, seeded and rough chopped
- 1 onion, rough chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, quartered
- 1 inch gingerroot, rough chopped
- 450 g tomatoes, rough chopped
- 30 ml olive oil
- 1 pinch sugar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Sift flour into a bowl. Stir in yeast and salt and make a well in the centre.
- Add parsley, garlic, olive oil and enough warm water to make a firm dough.
- Turn out on lightly floured surface; knead about 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Rub dough with a little of the oil, place into a clean bowl,cover with cling film and allow to sit 1 hour or until doubled.
- Meanwhile to make the salsa, combine chilies, onion, garlic and ginger in a food processor and blitz until finely chopped.
- Add tomatoes and olive oil,process until smooth.
- Sieve the mixture into a saucepan.Add sugar, salt and pepper to your taste preference and allow to gently simmer 15 minutes.
- DO NOT BRING SALSA TO THE BOIL.
- Roll the dough into approximately 40 balls. Shallow fry in hot oil 4-5 minutes each until golden and crisp.
- Drain on kitchen roll and serve immediately with a bowl of fiery salsa.
So tasty! will be making this again and again. Halved the recipe as there was only two of us eating. I didnt seive the sauce, just plonked it in the pan. Also didnt have red chillies so added some small green pepper and chilli powder instead. The dough balls turned out great. Thanks for putting this recipe on here!
This turned out beautifully, I have never made dough balls before and was really pleased with the outcome. The salsa was gorgeous! Instead of sugar I used a squirt of honey. My husband loved it too, all in all a great success, looking forward to making it again soon. Thanks for the recipe.
This was just incredible! It was a little bit of work, but I did it all ahead of time and just took it all out of the fridge, heated it up and served. Lots of great reviews! Thank you for submitting this recipe.