Recipe by DailyInspiration
Recipe is from Roberto's Restaurant in Taos, New Mexico. A more modern version of chicken enchilados and much easier too.
Top Review by lazyme
Yummy casserole. I knew that we would enjoy this one because I've been making one very similar for years that just happens to be my grandson's favorite. I used flour tortillas that I cut up and a Mexican blend cheese. I used recipe http://futureexpat.com/2014/11/crock-pot-beer-shredded-chicken-recipe/#comment-26610 for the chicken which had a nice flavor too. Thanks for sharing, Nancy. Made for For Your Consideration tag.
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1⁄2 cup water (or as needed)
- 1 (4 ounce) can mild green chilies
- 12 blue corn tortillas (or yellow)
- 2 1⁄2 cups longhorn cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups cooked chicken, skinned, boned and cubed
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan place both soups, water and green chilies. Stir the ingredients together and bring the mixture to a boil. Turn off the heat.
- In a large well-greased casserole dish place 3 of the tortillas in a staggered pattern. Sprinkle on 1/4 of the cheese. Add 1/3 of the chicken. Spoon on 1/3 of the soup mixture. Repeat the process two more times. Stagger the tortillas differently for each layer.
- Top the casserole with a layer of the cheese. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake the casserole for 1 hour, or until it is hot and bubbly. Prep time does not include cooking time for chicken.