Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a yummy New Mexican version of a taco casserole.
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili seasoning mix
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomatoes with juice, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 6 small corn tortillas
- 3 tablespoons chopped green chilies
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free liquid egg product
- 1⁄2 cup green enchilada sauce
- 1⁄2 cup grated light cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup crushed baked corn tortilla chips
- Preheat oven to 350o.
- Spray large skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Add ground turkey or chicken and brown over medium heat. Add chili seasoning and tomatoes and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and ¼ of the chopped onion and simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream and chicken broth.
- Spray a 9-by-11 inch casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Line bottom with 3 tortillas. Add a layer of green chilies and the remaining chipped onions. Add meat mixture. Top with egg and another layer of the remaining 3 tortillas. Top with enchilada sauce and then the cheese. Pour sour cream mixture on top. Add crushed tortilla chips the last 10 – 15 minutes of baking.
- Makes 6 servings.