Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
The original recipe came from the Africhef recipe website, however I make it just a little bit different. This can be served as a side dish, or over rice as a main dish!
- Wash the spinach leaves, stack and roll leaves together, then coarsely chop.
- Place the tomato carefully into a small pot of boiling water for 30 seconds, peel skin off. Slice tomato in half and scoop out runny inside, discard this part, then coarsely chop the fleshy part.
- In small bowl, whisk the peanut butter and coconut milk til smooth.
- Heat the butter over medium low heat in large frying pan.
- Add the onion, tomato, salt and curry powder and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until the onion is soft. Stir only occasionally so that you don't break up the tomato too much.
- Add the spinach, and continue cooking for about 10 minutes, until the spinach is softened, but not overly cooked.
- Stir in the peanut butter/coconut milk mixture.
- Simmer, over medium-low heat, for about another 5-8 minutes, stirring constantly, to make sure that the mixture doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Season lightly with a little coarse ground pepper to taste.
- Serve as is as a side dish, or over hot cooked rice for a main dish.
Yum! This was so quick and easy. It made a perfect side dish for curried fish with saffron rice. Quite the multicultural meal, I know. :) The only thing I changed was adding a green bell pepper at the same time as the onion for a little more veggie punch. I knew that the spinach was going to cook down to nothing so I'm glad there was some more substance in there. This is a keeper!
A half batch of this was perfect for our vegetarian exchange student. Used Madras Curry Powder, baby spinach and half a tin of chopped tomatoes. Have made a similar recipe that calls for a bit more peanut butter, and think the extra dollop is worth it. Made and enjoyed for Zaar World Tour. Thanks!
This is *so* good. The mix of flavors is really just perfect. I didn't peel the tomato because I'm kind of lazy. lol. But I did seed it. I really enjoyed this! Thanks, Kelly! Reveiwed for ZWT4.