Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This recipe came from my friend Tanya. She served it at a dinner we attended and I loved it.
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 lb beef stew meat
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3 1⁄2 cups vegetable juice cocktail (I used the Bloody Mary mix)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules (I used a can of beef broth)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 2 1⁄4 cups potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- Place flour in a plastic bag. Add meat cubes, a few at a time, shaking to coat. In a large saucepan or dutch oven brown meat, half at a time, in hot oil. Return meat to saucepan. Add juice cocktail, onion, bouillon granules, garlic, basil and thyme. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover; simmer 1 1/4 hours for beef or till meat is nearly tender. Add potates, carrots and celery. Cover; simmer 30 minutes more. Skim fat.
FAbUlous, Carol. Subbed parsnips for the potatoes, used V-8 juice and the canned beef broth. Added about 1/4 cup red wine (who's measuring LOL). Bake in my cast iron dutch oven for about one hour and 20 minutes. YUM! Made for French Forum's Herb of the Month: Thyme.