Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
My Tante (Aunt) only made this in secret for my cousin and me...cause it had non-kosher ingredients. We loved it...hope you will too!
- 4 ounces knockwurst, sliced
- 4 medium potatoes, cooked and cold
- 2 medium yellow onions, sliced
- 1 (2 1/2 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained and squeeze dry with paper towels
- 1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat (Iknow, I know!)
- 8 large eggs
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Shred the cold potatoes, but not too finely, set aside.
- Pre-heat a large heavy skillet.*.
- Heat fat and add onions, green pepper, and sauerkraut. Saute until onions and peppers become soft.
- Add knockwurst and brown on both sides.
- Add potatoes to skillet and continue to fry, tossing lightly until golden brown. If it becomes too dry, add a few drops of water.
- Toss in the parsley and season with S& P. (I can't resist and I also add minced garlic, but it isn't part of the proper recipe).
- Turn heat to lowest while you whip the eggs and cream. You can add S&P here too, if you wish.
- Bring heat up to medium-high and pour egg mixture into skillet.
- Use a wide spatula to lift and turn potato mixture until the eggs are just done to a shiny cast. Don't overcook.even if you like your eggs well done, they will still be cooking even on your plate!
- Remove skillet from heat source.
- Now is the perfect time to serve them.
- I love to add warm pumpernickle bread and sweet butter on the side.
- Oh, delish!
- *My Tante used an iron skillet to cook this, I use stainless steel. Both brown well.