Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe goes back to before I was born! I have made some changes for todays cook, but it tastes the same as when I was a kid. It was from a handout from Public Health in NYC that she had.
- 24 coconut macaroons
- 1 cup condensed milk
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract (or vanilla)
- 2 teaspoons Kahlua (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- whipped cream
- toasted coconut flakes
- Soften gelatin in 1/2 cup of water. Set aside.
- Combine milks, 11/2 cups water, sugar, eggs, & salt.
- Cook custard in a double boiler, stirring frequently until custard coats the spoon.
- Add gelatin, Kaluha, & coconut extract.
- Stir until smooth. Remove from the heat and cool, stirring occasionally.
- Line a 2-qt. dish(I prefer glass) with the macaroons.
- Cover with the custard. Chill until set.
- Garnish with whipped cream and toasted coconut.