Recipe by annya127
This delicious dish will look and taste like it is professionally done, but actually is so simple to make! The flavors are rich and delicate, like all great Thai cuisine. It is slightly sweet and slightly spicy, harmonizing wonderfully with the shrimp. Eat it by itself or serve it over your favorite pasta.
Top Review by Baby Kato
Wow, I wish I could give you 10*'s this dish was fantastic. So quick and easy to make, with terrific results, excellent flavors and textures. The spices and seasonings were spot on, making this dish so memorable. Made exactly as written and wouldn't change a thing. It was delicious served over spagettini noodles. Thank you for sharing your recipe, now a new family favorite. Made in 2014.... Kudos on going into my Best of Cookbook for 2014.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs shrimp
- 1 tablespoon rice wine or 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 green onion, washed and chopped
- pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons Chinese white rice vinegar (OR white wine vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon minced gingerroot (OR 1 teasp. ground ginger)
- 1 cup chopped plum tomato
- 3 tablespoons oil, for stir-frying (preferably wok oil)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili paste with garlic or 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (OR 1tsp. dry cilantro)
- 6 ounces thin whole wheat spaghetti
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse the shrimp under warm running water. Cut in half lengthwise. Add to the marinade ingredients and marinate the shrimp for 25 minutes in the refrigerator. Whisk together the coconut milk, vinegar, honey, and the crushed red pepper. Set aside. Prepare the ginger and tomatoes.
- Heat the wok over medium-high to high heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is hot, add the shrimp. Stir-fry until they turn pink. Remove from the pan.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to the wok. When the oil is hot, add the minced ginger. Stir-fry until aromatic (about 30 seconds). If using ground ginger, simply mix it into the tomatoes and add the tomatoes to the wok. Stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add the sauce. When the sauce is bubbling, add the shrimp. Stir in the chili paste or garlic. Let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cook the pasta separately as directed. Serve over the cooked spaghetti or stir the cooked pasta right into the shrimp mixture. Garnish with cilantro and enjoy!