Recipe by Mtsegura77
5-Ingredient Fix Contest Entry. The PERFECT side dish or snack! Delicious bites of cheese, potatoes and crunch. You can vary your tots and go Italian, Greek or Mexican by modifying the cheese. These are a staple in our home.
- 24 ounces Simply Potatoes Traditional Mashed Potatoes (cold)
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 8 ounces Crystal Farms® Shredded Cheddar Cheese (I also like Crystal Farms Pizza Blend)
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups breadcrumbs (Panko crumbs preferably)
- vegetable oil or canola oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Line baking sheet or large plate with wax paper.
- Pour panko crumbs Into medium bowl.
- In a large bowl combine mashed potatoes, flour and cheese. Spoon a dollop of mixture into panko crumbs. Coat completely while simultaneously shaping into tater tot shape ( or leave as a ball). If you find dough too sticky to manipulate add a bit more flour. Place tot on wax paper and repeat with remaining potato dough.
- Heat skillet to medium/medium high heat and add about an inch of oil. Once oil is hot add tater tots. They will turn golden brown on one side ( after a couple minutes) and then flip. Do NOT over crowd! Work in batches and make sure to keep an eye on them so they don't burn. Serve with your favorite condiment.
- You can make tot shapes a day ahead and keep in refrigerator covered with plastic wrap.