Recipe by childerz
HOLY COW, this sandwich is marvelous. I'm only 3 bites into this amazing creation, and I had to come post this recipe lest I forget it. You can vary in any way you like from the original recipe, but the most important part is the cream cheese spread! (Do note that the measurements are approximate, as I didn't measure while inventing this sandwich, and adjust accordingly.)
Cream Cheese Spread
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons balsamic vinaigrette
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped roughly
- 1⁄2 roasted red pepper (I used peppers from a jar)
- 1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato (also from a jar)
- 2 pieces bread
- 1⁄2 roma tomato, sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette
- salt & pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, finely chopped
- 3 leaves fresh basil
- 1 roasted red pepper (from a jar)
- 1⁄3 cup loosely packed baby arugula
- 3 slices mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- For the sandwich: Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Put 2 tbsp of balsamic vinaigrette into a small bowl, and add tomato and green pepper slices, turning to coat. Put on a pan and sprinkle with the finely chopped basil, and salt & pepper. Roast for about 20 minutes, or to your liking.
- For the spread: Put all the spread ingredients into a blender or food processor and process until a smooth paste has formed (more or less).
- To assemble: Spread the spread over two slices of bread. Layer the arugula leaves and the fresh basil leaves, followed by the roasted red pepper. When your tomatoes and green peppers are done roasting, layer them on. Top with the sliced mozzarella while it's still hot-- so the cheese melts.