Recipe by Happy Hippie
Another recipe I found in an old recipe card file that I'm placing on Zaar for safekeeping. I remember making this for our family when I was in high school and everybody loved it. By the way, me and high school are ancient history, LOL!
Top Review by Red Chef Mama
This is now my favorite mexican casserole by far! I used flour tortillas because i didn't have any corn ones. The consistency of this is just right not too wet and not too dry. My husband thought it was great and he usually won't eat anything with cottage cheese in it! Yum!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 15 ounces tomatoes
- 10 ounces enchilada sauce
- 2 1⁄4 ounces olives, sliced
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 8 corn tortillas, halved
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground meat and onions together.
- Drain grease.
- Add tomatoes, enchilada sauce, olives, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cottage cheese and egg. Mix well.
- In a 9" x 13" baking pan, add 1/3 of meat mixture.
- Add 1/2 of the cottage cheese mixture over meat layer.
- Spread 1/2 of the jack cheese over the cottage cheese layer.
- Place 1/2 of the tortilla halves over the jack cheese.
- Spread another 1/3 of the meat mixture over the jack cheese.
- Spread the remaining cottage cheese mixture over the jack cheese layer.
- Place remaining tortilla halves over jack cheese layer.
- Pour remaining meat mixture over tortilla halves.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese over the top of casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.