Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A dear friend shared this recipe with me. It is wonderful to have a fresh tomato from your garden.
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 6 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
- In a small bowl or a jar with a tight-fitting lid, mix the first nine ingredients.
- Layer onion and tomatoes in a shallow glass dish.
- Pour the marinade over; cover and refrigerate for several hours.
This was wonderful. Decided at the last minute to make it so it really did not marinate long enough but it was still great. There was some left over so back into the fridge it went. I have some tomatoes that I picked before the frost and they are now ripening and quickly. What a wonderful way to use them.
This is already on my holiday menu to round out the buffet table. Made this in a shallow white oval serving dish and it looked so good that I could hardly wait for the taste test. How good was it ... it began to disappear before I got the rest of the meal on the table. I have to get fresh basil for the next making, even if I have to grow it under the lights! Added extra sliced white onions and tomatoes to the marinade and used some to top last nights salad. Delicious. this one's a keeper. Thank you for sharing.
Made this last night and let marinate over night. It was a GREAT way to perk up my sandwich today. Really added lots of flavor. Thanks for a new way to spice things up!