Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Slow cooker recipe
Top Review by Audrey M
Another five star crock pot recipe. I love brisket slow cooked because it is an expensive meat that taste expensive when done in the crock pot. I suggest adding a little water to the bottom of the crock pot, about 1/2 cup, because I didn't have much reserved liquid. Thanks for a wonderful recipe.
- 3 ounces tomato paste (half of a 6-oz. can)
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 -3 large garlic cloves, pressed
- 3 -4 lbs beef brisket, trimmed of as much fat as possible and blotted dry
- fresh ground black pepper
- paprika, to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 large yellow onions, cut in half and thinly sliced into half-moons
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, combine the tomato paste, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and garlic.
- If the meat is too big to lie flat in you slow cooker, cut it in half; season the meat generously with salt, pepper, and paprika.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over high heat; when oil is hot, brown the brisket very well, about 3 minutes per side; transfer to a plate.
- Add the onions to the skillet and cook, stirring a few times, until browned or even a bit blackened on the edges, 5-7 minutes.
- Put half the onions in the slow cooker (if you have cut the brisket into 2 pieces, place 1/3 of the onions in the cooker).
- Smear the tomato paste mixture thickly on both sides of the brisket and place in the cooker, with the fattier side facing up.
- Top with the remaining onions (if you have cut your brisket into 2 pieces, place 1/3 of the onions between the two pieces of brisket, and the remaining onions on top of the second piece).
- Pour any meat juices from the plate over the brisket.
- Cover and cook on LOW 5-7 hours, until the brisket is tender when pierced with a fork.