8 hrs 30 mins
Slow cooker recipe
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 ounces tomato paste (half of a 6-oz. can)
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 -3 large garlic cloves, pressed
- 3 -4 lbs beef brisket, trimmed of as much fat as possible and blotted dry
- fresh ground black pepper
- paprika, to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 large yellow onions, cut in half and thinly sliced into half-moons
- 1In a small bowl, combine the tomato paste, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and garlic.
- 2If the meat is too big to lie flat in you slow cooker, cut it in half; season the meat generously with salt, pepper, and paprika.
- 3In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over high heat; when oil is hot, brown the brisket very well, about 3 minutes per side; transfer to a plate.
- 4Add the onions to the skillet and cook, stirring a few times, until browned or even a bit blackened on the edges, 5-7 minutes.
- 5Put half the onions in the slow cooker (if you have cut the brisket into 2 pieces, place 1/3 of the onions in the cooker).
- 6Smear the tomato paste mixture thickly on both sides of the brisket and place in the cooker, with the fattier side facing up.
- 7Top with the remaining onions (if you have cut your brisket into 2 pieces, place 1/3 of the onions between the two pieces of brisket, and the remaining onions on top of the second piece).
- 8Pour any meat juices from the plate over the brisket.
- 9Cover and cook on LOW 5-7 hours, until the brisket is tender when pierced with a fork.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tangy Tomato Brisket
Serving Size: 1 (232 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 798.4
- Calories from Fat 563
- Total Fat 62.5 g
- Saturated Fat 24.6 g
- Cholesterol 165.5 mg
- Sodium 268.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 12.7 g
- Protein 39.5 g