Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a much played with recipe. I love it! I like it chunky. Feel free to adjust it to your own tastes.
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cooked and shredded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs tomatillos, whole hulled and rinsed (No need to chop.)
- 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt, more to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow jalapeno, minced
- 1 (7 ounce) can mild green chilies, diced
- 1 (10 ounce) bag frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen baby peas
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach
- 2 lemons, juice of
- sugar, to taste if too acidic
- sour cream, to serve
- cilantro, chopped to serve
- Cook and shred chicken. Set aside.
- Heat oil over medium high heat in a large pot or dutch oven. Ingredients 3-8: add 1 red onion and 1 white onion, saute until golden. Add garlic and saute 1-2 minutes. Stir in tomatillos, 3 jalapenos and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes until the tomatillos start to burst.
- Puree in pot with an immersion blender. Stir in garlic salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste.
- Add reserved shredded chicken and the rest of the ingredients up to the chopped spinach and cook until heated through.
- Stir in lemon juice and sugar if desired and remove from heat.
- Serve in bowls topped with sour cream and cilantro to taste. Tortilla chips are also good with this.
I have never done a review before but just had to on this one. It is fantastic! We are vegetarians, so I left out the chicken and it was still delicious! Also, I used chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in place of the jalapenos....be careful - it is pretty spicy!!! YUM! judy
Pretty much followed the ingredients except where we were short - 1 red onion and 1 pepper and 1 yellow jalapeno. Expected more heat so am reheating leftovers and adding a jamaiican pepper and some shrimp that needs to be used up. Smells wonderful
Very good and filling! I adjusted this recipe slightly by using only one pound of tomatillos, only 2 onions (one red and one white), only 4 oz of green chiles and skipping the spinach and the garnishes. I also only used 2 chicken breasts--delicious! I think the leftovers will make wonderful lunches too! Thanks for sharing this very versatile soup which we will be having often!