12 hrs 15 mins
This dish is dry, not saucy and quite delicious. From The Indian Slow Cooker by Anupy Singla. I made half the quantity and it lasted me all of three days.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 cups dried garbanzo beans, sorted and washed thoroughly
- 11 cups water
- 1 large yellow onions or 1 large red onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 inches piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 20 garlic cloves, peeled
- 8 green Thai peppers or 8 serrano peppers or 8 cayenne chilies
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder
- 4 tablespoons thick yogurt (I used kefir)
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 2 tablespoons tamarind paste
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1/2 lemon, seeded
- sliced red onion (garnish)
- fresh naan bread or roti
- 1Place the chickpeas and water in a 5 quart slow cooker .
- 2In a food processor, puree all of the remaining ingredients, except the lemon, onion for garnish and bread.
- 3Add to slow cooker, stir, and cook on High for 10 hours.
- 4Add the half lemon and cook another 2 hours on High. After cooking, remove and discard the lemon.
- 5Top with the sliced red onion and serve with hot naan. (I ran out of naan and wrapped these in warm flour tortillas - very good).
- 6To make half the quantity, use a 3 1/2 qt slow cooker.
- 7Note: I loved these plain, but loved them even more with a cucumber salad. Mix chopped cucumbers - I used seedless - and some chopped red onion if you like, stir in some sour cream or thick yogurt. Spoon onto the chickpeas and naan - the contrast between the spicy chickpeas and the cool creamy cucumbers is out of this world!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tangy Tamarind Chickpeas - Khata Imlee Chana (Slow Cooker)
Serving Size: 1 (4617 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 335.5
- Calories from Fat 51
- Total Fat 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.5 mg
- Sodium 1037.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.9 g
- Sugars 10.5 g
- Protein 17.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: